Thursday, October 18, 2012

My letter to the NHL


National Hockey League
1251 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10020

October 18, 2012

To whom it may concern:
As these negotiations continue, please think about your fans.
I have four brothers. My dad tried out for the “Miracle” Olympic team. I grew up in a small town in Illinois, in a close family who loves hockey.
And I grew up a Chicago Blackhawks fan. If you know much about how they were operated for a while, it wasn’t really with the fans in mind. We didn’t get to watch many of their games on TV. And when I was younger, my family wasn’t one who could afford tickets. So, we watched and cheered when we could.

I grew up watching my dad ice skate at a boat harbor, because we didn’t have a rink in town anymore. And anytime some place safe froze over, I was sliding around on it, too, pretending I was a hockey star.
My dad once met Bobby Hull at a sporting and outdoors show. He met his hero. THE Golden Jet. I'd never seen anything like it.

I played other sports, myself, but eventually a rink came back to town and my younger brothers played hockey. They’re good. And despite seeing them play soccer, football, baseball and tennis, there’s nothing that brings a family together like the hockey experience.

Through college I took advantage of the cheap student seats at United Center with friends and family. 
As I got older, I took my brother, my best friend, to the Winter Classic at Wrigley Field. I get tears in my eyes recalling it. It was one of the single greatest events I have ever lived.

I made sure attending Blackhawks games was a family tradition. It’s a truly magnificent experience. 
We went to games early to get autographs. We even met Jonathan Toews before he became the superhero he is to us all now.

A few years ago, my career ambitions took me farther from home. I lived in Connecticut and worked in Connecticut and Manhattan. I missed my friends and family greatly. I missed my home. But I had hockey. I had tons of it. Between the Rangers, the Islanders, the Devils, etc., there was always someone to watch. And anytime the Blackhawks were in town, I was there! It was an exciting taste of home mixed with all the thrill of NHL hockey.

I will cry if I talk about the 2010 Blackhawks season, so I won’t go into much detail there. But, also being a Chicago Cubs fan, I can tell you it was my first time ever living through my team’s victory. It was overwhelming. Everyone should get to experience that feeling, at least once.

Last year, in October, I started getting sick. It began with pneumonia, but then my entire body started feeling like it was shutting down. I had intense pain and no energy. I had to be put on disability from my very promising career. I suffered for four months, trying different treatments and tests with no results. Finally, in February I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease. I began treatments in February and started to improve some by June. While I continue to have some issues from the illness it is now mostly under control. I am fortunate.

I spent many days and nights in tears, in pain, and generally devastated that my life as a happy 28-year-old was taking such a turn.While I had the support of a wonderful boyfriend and friends, my family remained in Illinois. With family at a distance, there wasn’t much to bring methe comfort of home.  So I watched hockey. I watched it live or I replayed the 2010 playoffs on my DVR.

It’s an escape. I could lose myself in a game and that’s something I needed when I was feeling so awful.
You have the ability to bring comfort to people. You have the ability to bring people together.
I don’t want to think about, or admit, what I’ve spent to go to your games or buy your merchandise. But I have felt it is worth it because for some twisted reason, it’s like the NHL is another member of my family.

Or it was. You see, I’d been so excited by 2010, I forgot about that last time you let me down (I was a little young in the 1990s).  That 2004-2005 lockout. Now that was a bitter season. It was one of the worst labor disputes in sport history. And you guys kept Gary Bettman around after that? Bad, bad move. Seriously. When this all ends, you should really reconsider who you have representing you.

That takes me to another point – the NHL isn’t the most popular of sports. I’ve done my best to recruit friends as fans. Any new recruits are already lost. In all seriousness, though, you all had a good thing going.

You had some serious marketability. Your real fans are loyal. They’re colorful. Your players are delightful. They are tough. They are by far the most athletic of professional athletes (baseball players are out if they sneeze, for example). They’re the toughest. They get seven teeth knocked out and go back out there to play. No one else does that. 

I can’t speak for other teams, but I know the Blackhawks are active with charities, their communities and youth hockey programs.

The games are fun and exciting. They’re fast. They are passionate.

It is one of the only sports out there where at the beginning of the season you know that any team out there could take home Lord Stanley at the end of the year. And every team out there is going to put blood, sweat and tears into raising that Cup.

People were just starting to realize that. And now you’re turning them away. You had momentum going for an incredible fan base.
But that can slip quickly and you are hurting your chances more than helping them.

The way the NHL and its owners have been dealing with negotiations has been a disgrace. It’s shameful. They’ve been toying with PR and media, and therefore, with the fans.

And now, I feel even worse than I did as a kid when we couldn’t watch the beloved Blackhawks on TV because their owner was too greedy.
Sound familiar?

You’re not going to keep your current fans or win new ones with shady PR campaigns, or by leaking contract proposals that might get our hopes up but are ultimately still unfair to the people who are actually out there playing the sport. We get that this is complex. We understand there is a significant amount of money involved. But don’t sign big deals with players if you don’t have the money to back those deals. Honor those deals. Stand by your word. 
Stand by your players.

It's their faces, their athleticism, their bodies, their minds, their dedication... it's them...who are bringing money to the NHL. 

Stand by your commitment to these players and these teams and, in turn, your fans.
We may love you. But we don’t stay in abusive relationships. And there are plenty of resources to watch fine hockey without the politics.

Thank you for your time.
Best wishes in a speedy conclusion.

Carly A. Mullady

No comments:

Post a Comment